The Reynolda Estate was constructed between 1906 and 1917 by Katharine and R. J. Reynolds on 1,067 acres of land. Today, the centerpiece of the original estate remains intact and is known as the Reynolda Historic District. Made up of more than 100 acres, this historic landscape was nominated as a National Register property in 1980.
In 2009, Reynolda House Museum of American Art and Wake Forest University joined forces to commission a cultural landscape report for the Reynolda Historic District. The report documents the historic landscape and makes recommendations for preservation. The Jaeger Company, a firm specializing in historic landscape architecture and historic preservation and planning, conducted the report.
Download The Jaeger Company’s completed Cultural Landscape Report, (80 MB) presented in May 2010. Note: due to size of file, some images do not appear in the report.
Download The Jaeger Company’s presentation (3.5MB) from the January 26, 2010 public meeting announcing the Reynolda Historic District Cultural Landscape Report.
Reynolda Historic District Links